This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1064699



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: City and County of the City of London

District Type: London Borough


National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 04-Jan-1950

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 199374

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


CLEMENT'S LANE EC4 1. 5002 (East Side) Church of St Clement TQ 3280 NE 16/446 4.1.50.


2. 1683 to 87, by Wren. Rectangular body with short south aisle and south-west tower. Exterior now stuccoed with some stone dressings. Round-arched principal windows and segmentally arched openings above, many now blind and some upper ones altered. Recessed, round arched west door (altered) with 3 windows above (central 1 blind). Cornice, central pediment and shaped parapet. Reduced cornice to north elevation. Doorway at west end and main windows all blocked. East elevation has 3 main windows only, differing sill heights. Vestry, partly C17, very plain. Simple tower with round arched and circular windows mullioned openings to belfry and crowning balustrade. Interior has order of Corinthian pilasters above high wainscot with pair of columns to south aisle which formerly had gallery. Groined vault rising to flat ceiling with large circular panel in centre (renewed in 1925). Pattern of windows and blind panels is varied on east side with 3 large openings of differing sill height. Upper windows partly disturbed. 3 large lunettes over south aisle. Fine original fittings include large reredos (with later colouring), pulpit and tester, organ above entrance lobby, door cases, communion table and rails, stalls, marble font and cover etc.

Listing NGR: TQ3286480895

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 32864 80895


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1064699 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 09-Oct-2015 at 02:57:43.