This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1064627



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: City and County of the City of London

District Type: London Borough


National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 04-Jan-1950

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 199574

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


LEADENHALL STREET EC3 1. 5002 (North Side) Church of St Katherine Cree TQ 3381 SW 11/367 4.1.50.


2. 1628 to 31. Tower circa 1504. Nearly rectangular, aisled building with clerestory incorporating tower at south-west corner. Exterior of squared rubble and Portland stone with 3-light windows of gothic form but stepped, flat heads. Plain parapets to side aisles and cornice to clerestory. Arched south doorway at base of tower with pair of Ionic columns supporting pediment. Tower very simple with round-arched openings, 1 gothic window to west, plain parapet and wooden cupola with Doric colonnade and lead covered dome. East elevation obscured by adjoining buildings. South side has 2 elaborate rain water heads and pipes plus 3 plainer ones to clerestory and 1 each to west and north sides. Large, square-headed west window now blocked. Arched and corniced entrance beneath it with pair of simple late C18/early C19 iron gates. Interior has classical arcades with Corinthian columns, without entablature, supporting semi-circular arches and pilastered clerestory. Ribbed plaster vault of late gothic character. Square-headed east window with glazing of circular form. Original, arched openings to north and east of tower. West organ gallery supported on Corinthian colonnade with fine late C17 organ case. Mid C17 font and cover. Doorcase dated 1693 and pulpit of similar date with simple (later ?) tester. Royal arms. Monuments, especially to Sir Nicholas Throkmorton, 1570. Aisles now enclosed by low screens. Vestry to north-east.

Listing NGR: TQ3339981139

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 33397 81140


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1064627 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Nov-2015 at 01:26:53.