This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1063178



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lincolnshire

District: East Lindsey

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Edlington with Wispington

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 14-Sep-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 195199

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


EDLINGTON MAIN STREET TF 27 SW 4/14 Church of St. Helen 14-9-66 II Parish church. C12, C13, C16, 1860 restoration and rebuilding by James Fowler of Louth. Squared greenstone rubble, with ashlar dressings, plain and fish scale tiled roofs. Western tower, nave, chancel, south aisle and porch. The C16 3 stage tower has moulded plinth, angled buttresses and C19 belfry stage with battlemented parapet and west window of 3 lights with double concave moulded surround and 4 centred arch with moulded head. To first stage are single rectangular lights and the belfry has paired lancets with angle shafts. The blocked C13 north arcade is visible externally with reset late C13 aisle windows in the blocking, one with intersecting tracery and 2 with quatrefoils. The chancel has a C19 east window of 3 lights with roundels. The south wall has 2 C19 lancets and there is a similar window in the east wall of the south aisle. On the south aisle wall are 2 paired C19 lights and on the south side only a clerestorey comprising 3 C19 lancets. The west wall of the aisle has a further single lancet. The gabled south porch has an outer deeply moulded C19 opening and a smaller inner doorway with moulded head and labels. Interior. The Romanesque tower arch has plain reveals and simply chamfered imposts supporting 2 square orders. On the north side the 3 bay C13 arcade, noted externally, can be seen to have octagonal piers and responds, moulded capitals and double chamfered arches, having hood moulds and label stops, one an ammonite. The south arcade also of 3 bays, is with the exception of the octagonal responds entirely of the 1860 restoration, and even the detail of the eastern respond cannot be trusted since the fine medieval head seems to have been reset. The C19 chancel arch has triple engaged shafts to either side and a moulded arch. Roof and fittings are all C19 except for 2 C17 chip carved chests in the south aisle, brought here from Wispington Church in 1974. A further chest is in the nave at the west end. The square font, which was recut in C19, is decorated with blank round headed arches, and dated 1599.

Listing NGR: TF2334671474

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TF 23346 71474


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1063178 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 09-Oct-2015 at 06:06:18.