This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1061695



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Leicestershire

District: Harborough

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Cranoe

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 07-Dec-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 190777

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



4/2 Church of St. Michael



Parish Church. Almost entirely rebuilt by J.G. Bland of Market Harborough in 1849, retaining the C13 and C14 tower. Coursed ironstone rubble with ashlar dressings. Plain tiled roofs. West tower, nave and chancel. Tower is built into sloping ground, of three stages, the lowest apparently C13 of ironstone and limestone squared rubble. Small western lancet. Paired foiled lights to bell chamber. Embattled parapet. Buttressed nave, with plinth and sill course. Windows of 2 and 3 foiled lights in Decorated style. Large south porch, buttressed and with coped gable, the outer arch shafted and hollow chamfered, and Perpendicular style lights in east and west walls. Embattled parapets to nave, the embattling continuing over the steep east gable. Ridge cresting. Decorated windows in buttressed chancel 2 and 3-lights to south, 3 to east. Plain parapet, decorative tiles and ridge cresting. Inside a wide nave with chamfered west tower arch on Victorian corbels. Interior of south door has Perpendicular style stilted arch. King post roof with long raking braces from angel corbels. Shafted and hollow chamfered chancel arch flanked by commandment boards. Small chancel, only the altar raised above the general floor level. Encaustic tiles. C13 font, a rough round basin. Stained glass : all windows have small angel figures in upper lights. The east window is a memorial to a member of the Brudenall family of 1846 by Powell; a lacy pattern with geometric design incorporating heraldic emblems and a central panel depicting the deposition from the cross. South east window of nave is a memorial to a Count of Cardigan who died in 1868 and although the colour is garish, the detail, the Good Samaritan story, is delicate and mediaeval in feel. Nave north east window of 1875, the rich colours and mannered style owing much to the Preraphaelite movement.

Listing NGR: SP7615395305

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SP7615395305


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1061695 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 09-Oct-2015 at 07:46:28.