This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1058471



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: Mendip

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Ashwick

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 02-Jun-1961

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 266400

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



1/1 Church of St James



Parish church. Perpendicular tower of c1450, remainder 1881 by Browne and Gill in Gothic style, with additions by W D Caroe of 1915. Coursed rubble, slate roofs. Consists of tower, North and South aisles, Southern with small Lady Chapel, nave, chancel, and vestry. Tower of 3-stages has diagonal corner buttresses, continuing as pinnacles above, capped by crocketed finials. Simple 2-light bell opening to centre of each side of the top stage, containing dense quatrefoil interlace, embattled parapet with blind arcading. Aisles of 4-bays, having 2-light windows in the Decorated style, each bay flanked by a buttress; pierced quatrefoil parapet above, gabled porch to South side. Above clerestory stage, small paired cusped lights. Interior dominated by arcaded nave, supported on Draycott marble columns. Wagon roof to nace and chancel. Stained glass all of 1881 rebuild. Memorials dating from C18, particularly under tower to Richard Hardwick of 1770, local clockmaker, and earlier memorial to his children of 1738, in the shape of a clock. C18 English painting of St Hames' Miracle in Lady Chapel.

Listing NGR: ST6371148425

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: ST 63712 48419


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1058471 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 08-Oct-2015 at 05:23:02.