This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1058297



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: Mendip

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Nunney

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 27-Nov-1984

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 266796

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



12/98 Church of All Saints



Parish Church. C12, remodelled C13 and again early C16, aisles rebuilt after 1802. Coursed and squared Doulting rubble, ashlar dressings, double Roman, plain and irritation stone tile roofs. Cruciform plan, 3-bays aisled nave, West tower with entrance, South door and porch. Late C13 tracery to East window, and to South chancel windows. Early C14 reticulated windows to North and South transepts. Aisles have foliated lancets with folked heads of 2-lights and quatrefoils; above crenellated parapets. 3-stage tower, carved panel over West window, diagonal buttresses, crennellations, crocketed finials, small stair turret to centre of South side. Interior largely plastered, with lowered ceiling to Nave. The four centred arcades, transept arch and chancel arch are all continuous of 2-chamfered orders without capitals, (an exception is the North transept arch of C13 build having crudely carved face to East respond). 2 and 3-light foliated head squints flanking chancel arch with C16 screen, restored C19. Barrel vaulted chancel of C19, cusped rere-arch to South window which is also a sedile and trefoil headed piscina, C17 communion table. North transept has imposing de la Mere monuments of C14, early C15 and C17 (see Pevsner, Buildings of England). South transept has numerous monuments including vertical ledges to members of the Sambourne family. In body of church medieval wall painting on forth arcade, Royal arms over South door of 1660. C18 panelled pulpit, and C12 tub font with gadrooning with pyramidal tester inscribed W.S. 1681.

Listing NGR: ST7377445699

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: North Somerset and Bristol, (1958)

National Grid Reference: ST 73761 45696


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1058297 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Nov-2015 at 04:19:32.