This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.

LYNCH CHAPEL OF EASE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: LYNCH CHAPEL OF EASE

List entry Number: 1057997

Location

LYNCH CHAPEL OF EASE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: West Somerset

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Selworthy

National Park: EXMOOR

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 22-May-1969

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 265550

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SELWORTHY CP SS9047 WEST LYNCH

23/136 Lynch Chapel of Ease 22.5.69 GV II*

Anglican chapel. Circa 1530 restored 1880 and porch added c1904. Random rubble lias, diagonal buttresses, chamfered plinth, slate roof, coped verges, decorative ridge tiles. Single cell, nave and chancel, south porch. South front: gabled single storey porch added in memory of Henry Goddard, died 1904, triple lancet on west front, chamfered 4-centred arch inner doorway, C19 door, 2-light window under hoodmould to right, east window of 2 x 4 lights largely rebuilt, north front 2-light window and blocked 4-centred arch doorway, similar blocked doorway at west end. Interior: painted rubble. Renewed ribbed open wagon roof, ceiled over sanctuary. West end singing gallery constructed from old pews in 1930 by Mr W H R Blacking. Panelled dado, ogee headed piscina and 2 brackets for statues flanking altar. (Photograph in NMR),

Listing NGR: SS9003247644

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SS 90036 47648

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2016. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2016. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1057997 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 10-Feb-2016 at 10:07:25.

End of official listing