This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1057968



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: West Somerset

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Withypool and Hawkridge

National Park: EXMOOR

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 06-Apr-1959

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 265578

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


SS83NW WITHYPOOL CP WITHYPOOL VILLAGE 12/163 Church of St Andrew 6.4.59

GV II* Parish church. Late medieval, tower rebuilt early C17, restored and refitted 1887, restored extensively and tower rebuilt again 1902, latter work by W H Farings. Random rubble local stone, slate roofs, coped verges, decorative ridge tiles. Chancel, 3-bay nave and north aisle, west tower. Crenellated 2-stage west tower, diagonal buttresse to first stage, datestone of 1902 on south east face of south west buttress, early medieval carved stone with part of a cross set into north west buttress, north east stair turret to first stage, string course, single semi-circular headed louvred bell openings, 2-light west window, chamfered semi-circular headed west doorway with weatherworn stone to north referring to C17 rebuilding of tower; south front buttress between tower and nave, single storey gabled porch, semi-circular headed openings and C19 inner door, nave 3-light mullioned window, 2-light to chancel, 3-light east window, 3-light east end of north aisle, one 3-light window on north front. Interior: rendered. C19 roofs, archbraced to aisle, kingpost in nave. Moulded semi-circular tower arch with unusual, possibly C17, pilasters carrying imposts on jambs, closed by panelling, possibly C18. Three bay Perpendicular arcade with pointed, hollow moulded arches and thin imposts. C18 panelling at north end of aisle forming vestry. Norman font, fluted bowl with chevron moulded rim. Fittings of 1887. Aumbry in chancel wall c1970. Slate tablet to Dorothy Adams, died 1804. The living is a chapelry annexed to the rectory of Hawkridge. Pevsner, Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, l958).

Listing NGR: SS8462835595

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset, (1958)

National Grid Reference: SS 84628 35595


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1057968 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 09-Oct-2015 at 09:49:56.