This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1057488



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: West Somerset

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Williton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 22-May-1969

Date of most recent amendment: 21-Dec-1984

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 264997

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



2/231 No 51 (Williton Hospital) (Previously listed as No 57)



Workhouse now hospital, largely disused. 1838- 40 by George Gilbert Scott and William Moffatt for the Williton Poor Law Union. ashlar Bath stone entrance range, othwerwise squared and coursed red sandstone rubble, hipped slate roofs, brick stacks. Cruciform plan: central octagonal 4 storey block flanked by long 3 storey wings, linked by single storey ramps to entrance range with central pedimented gateway, single storey courtyard range at rear. Entrance range; single storey, 11 bays including central semi-circular arched opening, pedimented top, pilaster strips dividing bays, penultimate outer 2 bays break forward with hipped roofs, 12 pane sash windows, 16 pane sash window, projecting bays left, paired pointed arched openings in right 4 bays comprising chapel, entrances on inner walls of archway. Main range: octagonal 4 storey tower with 2 angled pedimented faces, coped verges, on facade, 2 to rear string, course with pilasters distinguish upper storey, 16 pane sash widows, 12 pane sash window on re-entrant angles, octagonal wooden lantern. flanked by 7 bay wings, end 2 bays breaking forward with hipped roof, mixed C19 fenestration, mostly many paned pivotal windows. Interior not viewed. The Williton Poor Law Union was forged in 1836; this is one of the best surving examples of the many workhouses built by Scott and Moffatt. (VCH Somerset, vol 5, forthcoming; photographs in NMR).

Listing NGR: ST0823141410

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Dunning, R W, The Victoria History of the County of Somerset, (1985)

National Grid Reference: ST 08231 41410


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1057488 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 29-Nov-2015 at 05:46:13.