This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1057409



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: West Somerset

District Type: District Authority

Parish: East Quantoxhead

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 22-May-1969

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 265120

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



13/73 Court House



Manor House. Medieval tower, wall adjacent in South East corner and West range, front block 1614 and 1624, addition at rear 1659. Blue lias random rubble, slate roof behind parapet with moulded cornice, stone stacks. Plan: around courtyard, hall entered from 2-storey porch with screens passage, parlour to South, North East drawing room wing, stairwell behind kitchen on North front, tower and service area to West. 2-storeys, 1:1:1:1:1 bays, recessed unlit bay left, 2-storey porch and projecting wing right, stone ovolo moulded mullioned and transomed windows, some with original leading, under hood moulds, all 4-light except for 3-light in porch with coats of arms in recessed panel below. Moulded, arched entrance outer bay left and to porch, segmental headed inner door, moulded jambs and stops, C17 studded door. Left return, South front overlooking Church of St Mary (qv). Remains of medieval building, crenellated East end with merlons pierced with quatrefoil decoration and shields continued as wooden parapet, evidence of refenestration below. Medieval 4-storey crenellated tower at rear. Interior: notable collection of 7 plasterwork lower mantels mostly with biblical scenes, some with supporters and strapwork decoration one dated 1614, another 1629; plasterwork friezes; a number of moulded 4 centred arch doorways, C17 doors; Jacobean dog leg stair with pyramidal turned balusters. (VCH Somerset Vol 5 forthcoming; photograph in NMR; Country Life, February 3, 1912).

Listing NGR: ST1364243687

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Dunning, R W, The Victoria History of the County of Somerset, (1985)
'Country Life' in 3 February, (1912)

National Grid Reference: ST 13642 43687


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1057409 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Nov-2015 at 11:48:19.