This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1054183



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: Telford and Wrekin

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Edgmond

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 18-Jun-1959

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 362056

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


EDGMOND HIGH STREET 1. 5362 Church of St Peter

SJ 71 NW 24/191 18.6.59


2. C14 and C15 church with some re-used C13 material sandstone ashlar. Nave and perpendicular north and south aisles have parapets and south aisle embattled with crocketed pinnacles, grotesque gargoyles and 3-light perpendicular windows. Slight ogee arched south doorway and perpendicular south porch with battlements. C14 decorated chancel with steeply pitched roof and 3-light east window with reticulated tracery. Broad perpendicular west tower in 3 stages with diagonal buttresses, 2-light perpendicular bell openings, quatrefoil frieze beneath the embattled parapet and crocketed pinnacles at the corners; 4-light west window with reticulated tracery. C18 painted sundial on the porch. Four-bay north and south arcades, perpendicular with tall octagonal piers and double- chamfered arches. The bases and abaci of the north piers are re-used C13 work. Low pitched nave roof with arched braces on corbels. Late C19 arch braced chancel roof. Stone reredos of 1889 by Bodley and Garner, with carved figures. Early Norman font with interlacing. Stained glass in chancel by Powell 1873, and by Kempe 1891 and 1896. Brass to Francis Yonge 1533.

Listing NGR: SJ7202819290

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 72027 19288


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1054183 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 04-Oct-2015 at 10:20:41.