This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1052689



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Oxfordshire

District: Vale of White Horse

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Coleshill

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 10-Nov-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 21-Nov-1966

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 251505

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


SU2393 6/39

COLESHILL The Old Rectory


GV II* Rectory, now house. First documentary reference to a vicarage on the site is 1677, but the house preserves features of the C14 and was altered in the C18, the C19 and finally in the 1960s. In the final phase of restoration, the C19 SW front was taken down to reveal the C18 facade beneath giving the house the Georgian character it now possesses. Rubble stone with reused C19 blocked stone dressings for the windows and dressed stone quoins. Gabled slate roof. SW front of two storeys and attic, five bays with two gabled dormers with leaded casements, modern sash windows and a projecting moulded box cornice below coped stone parapet. Centrally placed panelled door with a flat hood on ornately carved brackets. On the corner of the SE wall is a medieval diagonal buttress with set-offs and a medieval chimney stack also with set-offs centrally placed on the SE wall. The top stage of the stack has been rebuilt in brick. To the S of this are two C14 windows, one is a plain squared opening but the other, below, is a two-light mullion with cusping. To the NW a two-storey extension built in 1825 of chequered brick with a gabled slate roof.

Interior: the SE room on the ground floor has C19 arched recesses with moulded wood architraves decorated with patera. There are deep splays to the two medieval windows on the E wall.

Listing NGR: SU2365593805

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SU 23655 93805


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1052689 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 10-Oct-2015 at 08:06:00.