This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1042770



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: Northumberland

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Heddon-on-the-Wall

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 28-Apr-1969

Date of most recent amendment: 22-Aug-1986

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 238632

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



20/147 Church of St Andrew (formerly listed as Church of St Philip 28.4.69 arid St James)


Parish church. Some Saxon masonry, C12 chancel partly remodelled C13, aisles C13. Restored and west end added 1839. Squared stone with Welsh slate and Lakeland slate roofs.

Nave with aisles, south porch, chancel and vestry.

4-bay nave with paired lancets of 1839, largely in older masonry. Late medieval south porch with pointed-arched doorway, sundial in gable and pointed tunnel vault. South-east corner of nave, where it joins the aisle, has Saxon quoins. Lintels of north windows inscribed TAB 1839.

Chancel has double-chamfered plinth, blocked very narrow priest's door with plain tympanum and one small C12 north window. South windows are tall paired lancets and pierced circles above with carved heads. C12 sill band broken by larger C13 windows. Two broad flat buttresses. East end has stepped lancets of 1839.

Gabled roofs. East end has ridged coping with roll moulding, flat coping elsewhere. Tall gabled west bellcote.

Interior: C12 rib-vaulted presbytery with ribs of 2 roll moulds resting at east end on shafts with cushion capitals; west ribs and presbytery arch rest on triple responds of similar shafts; the arch has unmoulded soffit and pronounced zigzag towards nave; head of Saxon wheel-head cross on window sill. Chancel arch, C13, double chamfered with broaches, small nailhead in north capital. Medieval gravecover in south window sill; Saxon tympanum above C19 door into vestry. North arcade c.1200, broad-chamfered pointed arches with round piers and capitals; east capital has primitive volutes, east respond has waterleaf capital. Early C13 south arcade with round piers and double-chamfered arches. West bay is addition of 1839. C15 chest in north aisle. Small round C17 font on round base with moulded foot.

Listing NGR: NZ1338566892

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: NZ 13386 66892


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1042770 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 09-Oct-2015 at 12:42:09.