This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

MAGDALEN COLLEGE CHAPEL OF SAINTS JOHN AND JAMES

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: MAGDALEN COLLEGE CHAPEL OF SAINTS JOHN AND JAMES

List entry Number: 1040573

Location

MAGDALEN COLLEGE CHAPEL OF SAINTS JOHN AND JAMES, HIGH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Northamptonshire

District: South Northamptonshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Brackley

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 22-Apr-1950

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 233831

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BRACKLEY HIGH STREET 1. 5328 (East Side) Magdalen College Chapel of Saints John and James SP 5836 1/37 22.4.50. SP 5837 2/37 II* GV 2. Founded by Robert ("Le Bossu") Earl of Leicester, who died in 1168, as the chapel of St John's Hospital (see Doyle, Off Baronage II, 336). Now used as Magdalen College School Chapel. Nave of ashlar and coursed rubble with a tower on the north-west. The west end exterior has a reset C12 door with, above it, a 3-light C13 window on each side of which are moulded niches each with a seated figure; the top of this gable end has been rebuilt. The whole chapel was restored in 1746 and (twice) in C19. The work done at the latter time for Canon Thickness, vicar, by a Mr Buckeridge, architect, is described in "A History of Brackley" by A Green, 1869.

Listing NGR: SP5859837003

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Doyle, , Off Baronage
Green, A, A History of Brackley, (1869)

National Grid Reference: SP 58598 37003

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2016. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2016. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1040573 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Sep-2016 at 03:02:52.

End of official listing