This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1039598



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: Bedford

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Turvey

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 13-Jul-1964

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 431164

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


SP 9452-9552 29/620

TURVEY HIGH STREET (north side) Parish Church of All Saints


GV II Medieval parish church with additions and alterations 1852-1854 by Sir G. G. Scott. His work has been called "the finest mid-Victorian ecclesiastical ensemble in Bedfordshire" (McHardy). Church consists of nave, chancel, W. tower, N. and S. aisles and S. porch. W. part of the nave has remains of probably Saxon work as does the base of the tower. Tower arch and central stages are Early English; the parapet and pyramid roof, Victorian. The nave is mainly C13 with the N. arcade added early C14 and the nave extended. Most of the windows were reworked by Scott. C15 clerestorey and fine angel roof. S. porch is also C15. It was originally vaulted. S. doorway has good C13 ironwork similar to that at Leighton Buzzard and Eaton Bray. The chancel was rebuilt by Scott 1852-54. In a recess in the S. aisle is an early C14 painting of the Crucifixion. There is an impressive collection of monuments. Two C15 brasses in the S. chapel. In the S. aisle a tomb-chest of Sir John Mordaunt 1506. Between chancel and S. chapel, one of the most important Tudor monuments in the county (Pevsner), to the first Lord Mordaunt 1560. It is by T. Kirby. Alabaster effigies and stone surround. Coupled Roman Doric columns and an arch decorated with chains of squares and circles. Victories in the spandrels. The upper storey has two caryatids. Also 2nd Lord Mordaunt and his two wives. Effigies lie side by side, but he is raised higher than his wives. 3rd Lord Mordaunt 1601. An unusual tomb- chest with a black cloth of stone hanging dawn like a pall and the inscription in white on it.

Listing NGR: SP9403352545

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SP 94033 52545


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1039598 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 07-Oct-2015 at 01:31:18.