This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

THE SWAN AND ATTACHED BUILDINGS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE SWAN AND ATTACHED BUILDINGS

List entry Number: 1038914

Location

THE SWAN AND ATTACHED BUILDINGS

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Staffordshire

District: Lichfield

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Fradley and Streethay

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 20-Nov-1986

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 272497

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SK 11 SW ALREWAS C.P. FRADLEY JUNCTION

3/11 The Swan and attached - buildings GV II

Inn, cottages and former warehouse. Circa 1770's. Red brick; slate roof; brick ridge stack and integral end stacks. Aligned north-east/ south-west. facing south-east. 2 storeys; slightly irregular fenestration but essentially 4:3:4 bays, casements with segmental heads, central pedimented break, former warehouse to the left, inn and attached cottage to the right. Central break has 3 segmental-headed arches at ground-floor level leading to a central door, and a central first-floor door; the former warehouse has a large double door to the left, and a door to the right, both with segmental heads and a first floor door to the left; the inn has a bay window to ground floor left, with hipped roof, and a central door with pedimented porch, the attached cottage has a half-glazed door. Mid-to-late C19 cottage attached to the south-west (left) end facing south-west; 2 storeys; 3 windows, segmental headed casements; central door. The Swan and its attached buildings are the most prominent of an interesting group of structures at the junction of the Trent and Mersey and Coventry canals. The Trent and Mersey canal was completed in 1777; the surveyor-general was James Brindley. Jean Lindsay, The Trent and Mersey Canal (1979).

Listing NGR: SK1403214030

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Lindsay, J, The Trent and Mersey Canal, (1979)

National Grid Reference: SK 14032 14030

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1038914 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Jul-2018 at 07:40:08.

End of official listing