This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

STABLE BLOCK AT PACKINGTON HALL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: STABLE BLOCK AT PACKINGTON HALL

List entry Number: 1034845

Location

STABLE BLOCK AT PACKINGTON HALL, PACKINGTON PARK

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Warwickshire

District: North Warwickshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Great Packington

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 11-Nov-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 23-Mar-1988

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 308969

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

GREAT PACKINGTON PACKINGTON PARK SP28SW 8/64 Stable block at Packington 11/11/52 Hall (Formerly listed as Packington Hall and Stable block) GV II Stable block, now office. 1762-66. By William or David Hiorne for 3rd Earl of Aylesford. Buff sandstone ashlar to the front range and stucco to the rear. Low pitch slate roof with pyramidal roofs to the corner towers. Moulded main cornice of stone. Courtyard plan with square corner towers. 2 storeys. East front in 9 bays including pedimented Tuscan Doric recessed portico. Doorway with moulded stone architrave having the cornice carried on console brackets. Panelled reveals, but late C20 glazed double doors. First floor late C20 12-pane hung sashes. Ground floor has larger 12-pane hung sashes. Corner towers have raised surrounds to first floor hung sashes and a Venetian window at ground floor with pedimented centre light. The courtyard has red brick walls. 7 recessed round-headed bays to each wall, with the centre bay pedimented. (Buildings of England: Warwickshire: p299; VCH: Warwickshire, Vol IV; M, Binney: Country Life: CXLVIII, p102, 266)

Listing NGR: SP2227383895

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Warwick, (1947)
Pevsner, N, Wedgwood, A, The Buildings of England: Warwickshire, (1966), 299
'Country Life' in Country Life, , Vol. 148, (), 266
Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 42 Warwickshire,

National Grid Reference: SP 22273 83895

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1034845 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Jul-2018 at 11:15:08.

End of official listing