This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.

INNER PRECINCT WALL APPROXIMATELY 100 METRES WEST OF PRIORY FARMHOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: INNER PRECINCT WALL APPROXIMATELY 100 METRES WEST OF PRIORY FARMHOUSE

List entry Number: 1034821

Location

INNER PRECINCT WALL APPROXIMATELY 100 METRES WEST OF PRIORY FARMHOUSE, CHURCH ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Warwickshire

District: North Warwickshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Maxstoke

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 08-Sep-1961

Date of most recent amendment: 23-Mar-1988

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 309014

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

MAXSTOKE CHURCH ROAD SP2386 (South side) 17/109 Inner precinct wall approx. 08/09/61 100m W of Priory Farmhouse (Formerly listed as Remains of tower and walls of monastic church) GV II* Inner precinct wall and part of west claustral range. Irregularly coursed sandstone. Wall contains remains of doorways including 2-centred chamfered archways and ogee arches. The wall at the north end forms part of the former granary and mill house. Originally part of the inner precinct wall to the priory of Augustinian Canons founded in 1336 by William de Clinton, Earl of Huntingdon and consecrated in 1342. Scheduled ancient monument. (VCH: Warwickshire, Vol IV; Buildings of England: Warwickshire: p349)

Listing NGR: SP2340286795

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Warwick, (1947)
Pevsner, N, Wedgwood, A, The Buildings of England: Warwickshire, (1966), 349

National Grid Reference: SP 23402 86795

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2016. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2016. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1034821 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Jul-2016 at 08:18:47.

End of official listing