This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH COTTAGES

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH COTTAGES

List entry Number: 1034805

Location

CHURCH COTTAGES, CHURCH END

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Warwickshire

District: North Warwickshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Shustoke

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 11-Nov-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 23-Mar-1988

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 309076

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SHUSTOKE CHURCH END SP2491 15/171 Church Cottages 11/11/72 (Formerly listed as Almshouses) GV II School and 6 almshouses, now 4 almshouses. 1699. School rebuilt in 1832 and altered 1927. Built by Thomas Huntbach the younger (d.1712) of Shustoke Hall. Sandstone rubble and steeply pitched plain-tiled roof with moulded eaves cornice and parapet gable ends. The parapet to the south end has been rebuilt as has the wall at that end. Two ridge stacks of red brick above the ridge. Single north-south range. There were three almshouses on each side with one room at ground floor and another in the attic. One storey and attic. Three C19 gable dormers. Each almshouse has a casement in an original splayed surround of sandstone with chamfered mullion. Adjacent doorways have oak lintels. Similar elevation to the west except that the doorways are now blocked. At south gable end reset in new brickwork of the wall of the school is a tablet with inscription and the date. (VCH: Warwickshire: Vol IV; Midland Counties Tribune (March 22, 1935))

Listing NGR: SP2421691023

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Warwick, (1947)
'Midland Counties Tribune' in 22 March, (1935)

National Grid Reference: SP 24216 91023

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1034805 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Sep-2018 at 06:42:41.

End of official listing