This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL

List entry Number: 1034697

Location

CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL, CHURCH HILL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Warwickshire

District: North Warwickshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Coleshill

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 08-Sep-1961

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 309324

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

COLESHILL CHURCH HILL SP2089-2189 (South side) 10/9 Church of St. Peter and St. 08/09/61 Paul

GV I Church. C14 and C15 but drastically restored in 1868-9 by W. Slater. Ashlar, much renewed in the C19; plain tile roofs. West tower, 6-bay nave with side aisles, 3-bay chancel and north-east vestry. West tower: probably mid to late C15. 3 stages with 5 stage diagonal buttresses capped by crocketed pinnacles at parapet level. Plinth with moulded coping and a crenellated parapet with continuous coping to merlons and embrasures, and trefoil-headed panelling. The recessed stone spire was rebuilt in 1888: it is crocketed up the edges and has 3 tiers of lucarnes with crocketed hood moulds. West doorway with roll and hollow-moulded surround, 4-centred arch and crocketed hood mould with carved angel stops. Large window above of 5 cinquefoil-headed lights with panel tracery beneath a 4-centred arch with crocketed hood mould terminating in winged monsters. The second stage has windows of 2 trefoil-headed lights with battlemented transoms, beneath elongated triangular arches with hood moulds terminating in winged monsters. Above the north, south and west windows is a canopied niche with crocketed hood mould in each case partially concealed by a clock. Each face of the belfry stage has a pair of transomed 2-light windows flanked by similar blind windows beneath a continuous crocketed hood mould with monster stops. Nave and aisles: C19 pointed 2-light side windows with Geometrical tracery, hollow segment-moulded surrounds and hood moulds with stops carved as heads. The east and west windows of both aisles each have 3 lights. Buttresses are placed diagonally at the angles, and at the bay divisions of the north and south sides. Coved eaves with carved fleurons. C19 north and south porches: gabled, with pointed entrance arches springing from cylindrical shafts with moulded capitals; scroll-moulded dripstones. Chancel: late C15. Plinth with moulded coping. Buttresses set diagonally at the eastern angles and at the bay divisions to the north and south: each has a gargoyle and crocketed pinnacle above, the latter have panelled sides. Parapet string and crenellated parapet with continuous coping to merlons and embrasures. Side windows of 5 trefoil-headed lights with panel tracery, beneath a 4-centred arch and returned hood mould. Similar 7-light east window, probably C19. Priest's doorway of 2 roll-moulded orders with a 4-centred arch and a heavily crocketed hood mould terminating in carved harts. C19 vestry with windows of 2 trefoil-headed lights surmounted by quatrefoils. Western doorway of 2 roll-moulded orders with a 4-centred arch. Crenellated parapet, the parapet string serving as a hood mould to the windows. Interior: 7-bay nave arcades consisting of pointed arches of 2 chamfered orders springing from octagonal columns with moulded capitals. Mainly C14 but the 3 western bays are C15 and probably contemporary with the west tower. Tall pointed tower arch with wide ogee moulding springing from semi-octagonal half columns with moulded capitals. There is an outer wide sunk chamfered order. Pointed chancel arch of 2 chamfered orders springing from moulded imposts on octagonal half columns. C14/C15 wagon roofs over nave and aisles, the former is of rounded section and the latter segmental pointed. The members of the nave roof are painted with trailing foliage, fleur-de-lys and other fleurons. In the chancel are the remains of a piscina and vaulted sedilia. In the north wall is a doorway to the vestry which matches the external doorway in the south wall in that it has a four-centred head and a heavily crocketed hood mould terminating in carved deer and surmounted by a fleur-de-lys. C15 low pitch roof carried on camvbered tie beams panelled with trefoil-headed arcading. The tie beams are supported on brackets which spring from stone corbels carved as angels. Moulded ridge piece and purlins with carved floral bosses. Fittings: outstanding C12 font. Squat base and circular basin carved with round-headed arcading springing from cylindrical columns with cushion capitals, which form 11 compartments altogether. The arcading is interrupted to the east by a crucifix with the Virgin and St. John to either side. The scene is surrounded by a circular band which cuts across the 2 supporting figures. The other 9 compartments contain alternately interlaced or vertical foliage scrolls, and single figures (four in all). C19 octagonal pulpit in a quite elaborate Gothic style with Geometrical tracery to the panelled sides, and a leaf encrusted cornice. In the north aisle are 2 carved stone heads brought from a site in the High Street, probably C12. Early C17 chest with elaborately curved sides. A bookrest said to be of 1603. C18 iron chest or strongbox. Oak parish chest bound with iron straps, possibly C14. Monuments: 2 early C14 cross-legged knights each with a surcoat and mail hood. The one in the south aisle has been identified with John I de Clinton, died circa 1300. He bears a shield emblazoned with the Clinton arms of (argent) a chief (azure) with 2 fleur-de-lys (or) therein. The knight in the north aisle is said to represent John II de Clinton, died circa 1320. Several monuments in the chancel. 3 brasses: William Abnell, vicar, d.1500; Alice Clifton, d.1506; and Sir John Fenton, d.1586. The other monuments are all Digbys: Simon, d.1519 and his wife Alice: alabaster; 2 recumbant effigies on a chest tomb with twisted columns at the corners, and panelled and traceried sides bearing heraldic shields; Simon Digby wears plate armour, his head rests on a helmet and his feet on a lion. Reginald; d.1519, and his wife Anne: incised alabaster slab on a chest tomb; 2 effigies with a row of children at their feet. John, d.1558 and his wife Anne: alabaster; 2 recumbant effigies on a chest tomb with their hands raised in prayer; he is in armour with his head on a helmet and feet on a lion. On the east face of the chest are a son in armour, and 2 sons in laymens dress, and a child in swathing bands. Sir George, d.1586 and wife: 2 recumbant effigies on a chest tomb with their hands raised in prayer. Sir George is in plate armour, the heads of both figures rest on cushions; around the sides are figures of kneeling children. Sir Robert Digby, d.1618; tall narrow tablet, scrolled to the sides with convex inscription panel capped by an Ionic capital; the whole is surmounted by an heraldic shield with garlands of fruit to each side. First Lord Digby, d.1661: pedestal tomb with giant urn on top. Stained glass: good late C19 windows in the chancel and in the west walls of the tower and aisles. (Buildings of England: Warwickshire, pp235-6; VCH: Warwickshire, pp54-6)

Listing NGR: SP2011889058

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Warwick, (1947), 54 55 56
Pevsner, N, Wedgwood, A, The Buildings of England: Warwickshire, (1966), 235 236

National Grid Reference: SP 20120 89059

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1034697 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Jul-2018 at 08:43:28.

End of official listing