This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

PILLORY AND WHIPPING POST IMMEDIATELY SOUTH OF NUMBERS 1 AND 3

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: PILLORY AND WHIPPING POST IMMEDIATELY SOUTH OF NUMBERS 1 AND 3

List entry Number: 1034694

Location

PILLORY AND WHIPPING POST IMMEDIATELY SOUTH OF NUMBERS 1 AND 3, CHURCH HILL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Warwickshire

District: North Warwickshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Coleshill

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 11-Nov-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 26-Jan-1989

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 309320

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

COLESHILL CHURCH HILL SP2089-2189 (North side) 10/6 Pillory and Whipping Post 11/11/52 immediately S of Nos.1 and 3 (Formerly listed as Pillory, Whipping Post and village stocks) GV II Pillory and whipping post. Probably early C19. Oak. Post approximately 14 feet high with turned acorn finial, a standing platform at about mid-height and near the top a transom with holes for the heads and hands of 2 persons. Near the bottom of the post are shackles for whipping. There were formerly a pair of stocks. Formerly in front of the Market Hall which stood in the middle of the road and which was demolished in 1865. (VCH: Warwickshire: Vol IV, 1965, p49)

Listing NGR: SP2002589073

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Warwick, (1947), 49

National Grid Reference: SP 20025 89072

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1034694 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Sep-2018 at 06:26:43.

End of official listing