This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.

CHRIST CHURCH AND HALL ATTACHED

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHRIST CHURCH AND HALL ATTACHED

List entry Number: 1024748

Location

CHRIST CHURCH AND HALL ATTACHED, SHIELDFIELD GREEN

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Newcastle upon Tyne

District Type: Metropolitan Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 14-Jun-1954

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 304869

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NZ 26 SE NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE SHIELDFIELD GREEN (east side) 12/523 Christ Church and hall 14.6.54 attached GV II* Parish church. 1859-61 by A.B. Higham. Squared sandstone with ashlar dressings; Welsh slate roofs. SW tower; aisled nave, with first north bay containing canted porch; chancel with north vestry and south chapel. Decorated style. Shallow west porch has 3 gables over tall 2-centred-arched door and flanking triple niches. Similar double door in NW porch has crocketed gables and single niches; head-stopped drip moulds above moulded arches on shafts with flower capitals. 5-light west window. Projecting tower has 3 and 2-light windows and large belfry openings. Angle buttresses with gargoyles crocketed gables. Stone broach spire. 2-light aisle windows have head-stopped drip moulds; 4-light east window. Cross finials to 3 steeply-pitched roofs. Interior: painted plaster and painted ashlar; arch-braced roof with high collar and queen posts. Quatrefoil piers with crocket capitals to moulded 2-centred arches of nave and 2-bay chancel arcades; flower or head-stopped drip moulds. Tall chamfered tower arch contains door and boarded screen. 3 steps to chancel, one to sanctuary and one to altar; medieval-style floor tiles. Gothic-panelled wood reredos. Late C19 brass plaque on north chancel wall to William Boyd, banker. Re- constructed medieval octagonal font. Hall breaks forward on ritual south, completing stepped frontage to green: one storey, porch and 3-sided end to street. Moulded surround to 2-centred-arched door set back at left; 3 windows of 2 pairs of Gothic lights under continuous drip mould; hipped roof.

Listing NGR: NZ2554064599

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: NZ 25540 64599

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2016. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2016. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1024748 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 05-May-2016 at 11:37:24.

End of official listing