Building crop mark, possibly 'Corbier Hall'
List Entry Summary
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.
Name: Building crop mark, possibly 'Corbier Hall'
List entry Number: 1004188
The monument may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
District Type: District Authority
National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.
Grade: Not applicable to this List entry.
This record has been generated from an "old county number" (OCN) scheduling record. As these are some of our oldest designation records they do not have all the information held electronically that our modernised records contain. Therefore, the original date of scheduling is not available electronically. The date of scheduling may be noted in our paper records, please contact us for further information.
Date first scheduled: 14-Mar-1977
Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.
Legacy System Information
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
Legacy System: RSM - OCN
UID: KE 309
This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.
List entry Description
Summary of Monument
Corbier Hall located 250m SSW of Court Farm.
Reasons for Designation
Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches, often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.
Despite some disturbance in the past, Corbier Hall survives well with buried remains visible as crop marks on aerial photographs. The site has only been partially excavated and holds potential for further archaeological investigation. It will contain below-ground archaeological and environmental information relating to the construction, layout and occupation of the manor house and to the landscape in which it was constructed.
This record has been generated from an "old county number" (OCN) scheduling record. These are monuments that were not reviewed under the Monuments Protection Programme and are some of our oldest designation records.
The monument includes a medieval house and moated site, known as Corbier Hall, surviving as buried remains. It is situated on gently sloping ground near Honeyhills Wood at the foot of the North Downs. Partial excavation has revealed stone foundations and a cellar, as well the likely remains of a surrounding moat. The medieval house has also been recorded as a crop mark on aerial photographs indicating a rectangular building, approximately 30m long by 15m wide, orientated WNW to ESE. There appears to be a central ‘partition’ running the length of the building. Attached at a right-angle to the west side of the south wall is another possible rectangular building, approximately 21m long by 12m wide. The remains of the moat surrounding the medieval house are also evident as a broad crop mark on aerial photographs.
Corbier Hall is thought to have been built in the late 14th century during the reign of Richard II (1377-1399). It was partially excavated in 1862 when stone foundations and a cellar were uncovered. An archaeological evaluation to the south of the site in 1996 uncovered a broad ditch considered to be the remains of the moat. The site was also recorded as part of the Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England (RCHME) Kent Mapping Project carried out in 1986-7. This produced 1:10,000 scale depictions of crop marks identified on oblique and vertical aerial photographs taken across Kent. A rectangular building with a central ‘partition’, closely resembling that recorded from aerial photographs, is marked as ‘Ancient Ruins’ on OS Maps (1:2500) published in 1885, 1897 and 1908.
'Thurnham Roman Villa And Land South Of Corbier Hall, Thurnham, Kent ARC THM 96. Archaeological Evaluation 1997, accessed from http://ads.ahds.ac.uk/catalogue/adsdata/ctrl_2003/thm96/pdf/arc_thm96_report.pdf
Kent HER TQ 85 NW 1. NMR TQ 85 NW 1. PastScape 417914,
National Grid Reference: TQ 80161 57073
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1004188 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2016 at 11:34:03.
End of official listing