Metal Theft from Historic Buildings
Prevention, response and recovery
As well as damage to historic buildings, metal theft causes expense, distress and frustration. Replacement and subsequent insurance can be costly.
The note deals mainly with theft of lead roofs from historic churches but the information applies to other types of building and traditional metal.
- Our approach to metal theft
- The basis for Historic England’s advice
- Recovering the roof
- What you can do to prevent future thefts
- What to do immediately following a theft
- How to help the police to identify offenders and bring them to justice.
- Series: Guidance
- Publication Status: Completed
- Pages: 28
If you require an alternative, accessible version of this document (for instance in audio, Braille or large print) please contact us:
Customer Service Department
Telephone: 0370 333 0607
Fax: 01793 414926
Textphone: 0800 015 0516