Guidance Open for Consultation
Revised advice and guidance
Conservation Area Appraisal, Designation and Management: Historic England Advice Note 1
Historic England is proposing to update Conservation Area Appraisal, Designation and Management: Historic England Advice Note 1. The consultation draft is available to download below. The main changes include:
- Locating conservation areas more clearly within Government policy and guidance (but see note below on the revision of the National Planning Policy Framework and the planning practice guidance)
- A more straightforward sequence of conservation area designation and management – appraise; designate; manage; review
- More examples of good practice – e.g. the Oxford Character Assessment Toolkit and the Craven District Council conservation area appraisals
- Expands on community and owner consultation and involvement
- Broadens and deepens the advice on archaeology in conservation areas
- Adds advice on Local Development Orders and mentions Local Listed Building Consent Orders
- And benefits from review of the topic throughout
Please note that, although we reference the current National Planning Policy Framework (NPPF) and planning practice guidance (PPG) paragraphs in text boxes at the front of the advice note, we do not give paragraph references in the main text. References are to the current NPPF and PPG as existing government policy and advice. These references will be updated in the final version of our advice when the outcome of the government consultation on revised versions of the NPPF and PPG is clear.
We welcome your comments on any aspect of this advice note.
This consultation closes on 17 May 2018
Ways to respond
Please send comments on this consultation to: governmentadvice@HistoricEngland.org.uk
Also of interest...
Find out what advice and guidance we have published in the last six months.